Minnesota State and National Parks information

Minnesota State Parks

Any Veteran with a total and permanent disability can receive a free annual park permit. Also, any resident Veteran with any level of service-connected disability is eligible for a free daily park pass. This daily pass does not include camping fees.

Starting July 1, 2017 active military personnel in any branch or unit of the United States Armed Forces and Veterans with a service-connected disability will be eligible to receive a free year-round vehicle permit, providing unlimited access to all 75 Minnesota state parks and recreation areas.

To see all of the licenses, permits and passes that are available to military personnel and Veterans and the form of identification that an individual needs to show, visit www.mndnr.gov.

For more information,,contact the DNR information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us. 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367 (8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Saturday)

To utilize this program, Veterans may need to present either a copy of their Federal U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determination letter (Summary of Benefits Letter) or a Veterans Identification Card-VIC (which indicates Service-Connected or SC) to a park attendant. How do I get a Veterans Identification Card?

America the Beautiful Access Pass

An America the Beautiful Access Pass may be issued to U.S. citizens or permanent residents that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability that severely limits one or more major life activities.

A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

Free admission is offered for a year to National Parks, and other locations! Pass owners and accompanying passengers in a single, private vehicle qualify on all federally operated recreation sites across the country. This covers pass-owners, and three accompanying adults age 16 and over, and no fee for children 15 and under.

An Access Pass can be obtained in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office:

Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
Fish & Wildlife Service
USDA Forest Service
National Park Service